Thursday, July 29, 2010

We All Need a Tree

A plumber was hired to restore an old farmhouse, and after he had just finished a rough first day on the job, a flat tire made him lose an hour of work, his electric drill quit, and his ancient one-ton truck refused to start. His temporary employer drove him home as he sat in stony silence. When they got to his house, the plumber invited the employer in to meet his family. As they walked toward the front door, the plumber paused briefly at a tree, touching the tips of the branches with both hands. When opening the door, he underwent an amazing transformation. His face creased into big smiles and he hugged his two small children and gave his wife a kiss.

When the plumber walked the employer back to her car they passes the tree and the employers curiosity got the better of her. She asked him about the tree and why he touched it as he had. "I know I can't help having troubles on the job, but one thing's for sure, those troubles don't belong in the house with my wife and children... so I just hang them up on the tree every night when I come home and ask God to take care of them. Then in the morning I pick them up again. Funny thing is" -he smiled- "when I come out in the morning to pick 'em up, there aren't nearly as many as I remember hanging up the night before."
It is up to both the husband and the wife to use loving compassion to help each other cope with stresses; and each spouse has a responsibility to minimize the figurative mud they drag into their homes on their shoes.

-Dr. Laura Schlessinger





Photobucket

0 comments: