Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Grace

Last week I have been given that task of reading, "Forgiving Ourselves" by Wendy Ulrich. When I heard the title I was thinking...okay let's see what I can get out of this book. Wendy is a wonderful author that has helped me to understand that there is difference between sin and weakness. She writes, "Weakness includes susceptibility to disease, emotional disorders, temptations, same-gender attractions, addictions, and death. Because of our inherent weakness we may be awkward, unskilled, immature, or handicapped in a variety of ways. Such human emotions as anger, worry, fear, sadness, and pleasure are also inherently weak when untutored. Weakness can lead to sin, but weakness in itself is not sin. In fact, God is the author of human weakness, while Satan is the author of sin. We are weak my design, as part of the mortal experience. God is patient and tolerant with human weakness, yet He cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance.... In the book of Ether, the Lord gives a succinct explanation of the relationship among weakness, humility, and grace. He says:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble: and my grace is sufficient for all men that fumble themselves before me: for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then I will make weak things become strong unto them. ( Ether 12:27)"
When I thought of grace before this book I thought of something graceful like a bird flying in the sky, or silk being blown in the wind, or a ballerina dancer. While putting together that God is graceful like things of that nature. Which I am sure is true to a point, but when we are trying to humble ourselves from the weaknesses we've discovered then how would His grace be sufficient for us? Wendy Ulrich explains, "Once we respond to our weakness with humility, God offers us His grace. Most of us are familiar with Nephi's teaching that "it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" (2 Nephi 25:23). Just as charity is a special word for Christ's love for us-love we cannot fully understand without spiritual help-grace is a special word for God's particular brand of goodness to us, also beyond our full understanding. The LDS Bible Dictionary defines grace as "help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ... Grace is "an enabling power" by which weak humans may "receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means."
Wow! Grace is given help and strength from God! I have challenged myself the last couple weeks and have come across many weaknesses that I am wanting to strengthen. One foot at a time of course but with God's grace I will become strong!

0 comments: